Patriots Cut Ties With Bad Publicity

Via Michael Reaves / Getty Images

By Clovis Anokye

Antonio Brown’s time in New England lasted less than two weeks. He played one game during week three of the season at Miami (September 15); where he added one touchdown in a blowout win (43-0).

The team said in a statement, “We appreciate the hard work of many people over the past 11 days, but we feel that it is best to move in a different direction at this time.” Brown’s time in the league was cut short by off-the-field issues.

Along with being released by the Patriots, in these past two weeks alone he’s been accused of rape and sexual misconduct by two women and lost millions in his NFL contracts and endorsments.

Brown is no longer affiliated with Nike and helmet company Xenith after the rape allegations. The Raiders voided his $30 million contract in guarantees in his contract. It is also unclear whether the Patriots will pay him the $9 million he was guaranteed this season.

Following his release from the Patriots, Brown went on to thank the New England Patriots for the opportunity via Twitter. Brown’s other tweets following his release; that he deleted shortly after, are just more reasons not to want a player (despite his talent) on your roster. He put out a tweet calling out Ben Roethlisberger, his former teammate and Robert Kraft; the owner of the New England Patriots.

The tweets Antonio Brown made implied that he has been mistreated by the league by referencing Roethlisberger and Kraft who dealt with sexual misdeeds, but still maintained their jobs in the league.

Roethlisberger in 2010, served a four-game suspension for allegedly sexually assaulting a woman at a nightclub. Robert Kraft is still in an ongoing case where he pled not guilty to charges of soliciting a prostitute last winter.

Brown also took to Twitter to announce after his release that he, “Will not be playing in the @NFL anymore,” He stated. “These owners can cancel deals do whatever they want at anytime we will see if the @NFLPA hold them accountable sad they can just void guarantees anytime going on 40m 2 months will see if they pay up !”

Even if Brown were to reconsider getting back into the NFL, it would be a gamble for an NFL team to sign him any time soon because of all the drama and off-the-field issues he brings along with him.