Music festival take Sturbridge by storm

By Linda Costa
Residents of southern central Massachusetts are starting to rebuild from the June 1 tornado, and the first-ever Disc Jam Festival is ready to rise with them. Everyone is invited to come together for a weekend of dancing, disc golf, and music starting at noon today and ending at 8 p.m. Sunday at Hyland Orchard Disc Golf Course and Brewery, 199 Arnold Road in Sturbridge.
Who do you call for help when your phone is lost under the broken plywood and shattered glass you once called your home? Harry and Pia Rogers, like many of their neighbors, did ask themselves this question when they found their Monson home leveled after the storm. Also leveled was the Village Green Campground in Brimfield, the original camping location for Disc Jam.
The Rogers have teamed up with Disc Jam founder Tony Scavone to create clear skies to follow the cloudy days, opening up their hearts and private farm for camping. The show will go on!
“This is the first time people have something to do that is not filling out insurance reports,” Scavone said of the festival. The non-profit organization Strangers
Helping Strangers is calling for local artists to donate their work for display
and sale at the festival, with 100 percent of the profits to go to the tornado
relief fund. Not much of an artist? Helping out is as simple as bringing canned
goods for the food drive. Raffles will give patrons the chance to win various
prizes.
The Hyland Farm sports a picturesque disc golf course designed in a figure-8 pattern through woods and orchards, with the stage area at its center. Golfers can hear the music from all but two of the 18 holes.
Today features an all-day free play. When the sun goes down, a glow round will follow.
The musical lineup brings beats with heat, featuring Zach Deputy on Sunday night. Bands playing range from funk to electronica, and jazz to jam.
The festival also features family-friendly activities including a petting zoo, toddler playground, and hay rides. There will also be a Sunday BBQ from BT’s
Smokehouse.
The Disc Jam festival runs today from noon to 11 p.m., Saturday from 10 a.m. to 11 p.m., and Sunday from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. The cost is $30 for a three-day music-only pass, or $40 for a three-day pass for music and camping.

View Comments (1)