“Let Your Voice Be That Spark”: Newly Elected President Kervens Blanc Hosts the First SGA Meeting of the 2023 Fall Semester

The Student Government Association (SGA) of Fitchburg State meets on a weekly basis in an effort to “empower the student body and represent their issues and concerns.” Although these meetings are open to all students, attendance outside of the committee members is seldom seen. The Point believes that coverage over these events is necessary to keep the student body further informed on any developments and decisions occurring within these meetings that could very well impact student life on and off of campus.

Sep. 19 Meeting

SGA met for the first time in the 2023 fall semester and introduced themselves to members of the gallery. Senators were welcomed by an increased attendance of students in the gallery all of which expressed an interest in SGA. Members of the executive board took turns introducing themselves to the attendees.

“I am currently a senior here at Fitchburg State University with the role of secretary in SGA,” said Lacrinia Dirtion. “My major is biology with a health science concentration. Besides being secretary in SGA, I am also the president of Black Student Union. This is my very first year in SGA, as well as being an e-board member.”

Dirtion explained that although they are new and still learning, they are hoping to experience much more while in SGA.

“In my role as secretary, I intend to hear everyone’s opinions and give everyone an opportunity to change our school by taking it day by day,” said Dirtion.

SGA Vice President Nana Kumah then gave a few words about himself and his interests.

“I am currently a senior here at Fitchburg State getting my degree in business management and minoring in construction management. Apart from academics, I am also involved in a number of things on campus, such as president of [African Student Association], lead tour guide of the admissions office, and over the past summer and fall I have also been an orientation leader,” said Kumah.

Finally, current SGA President Kervens Blanc moved onto his own report where he also introduced himself and expressed gratitude for the opportunity of helming this academic year’s Student Government.

“I am incredibly honored to serve as your president this year. I’m here to break barriers and make history as the first black president of the Student Government Association,” said President Blanc. “Today we embark on a journey of unity and empowerment within the Student Government Association. Our vision is to cultivate leadership qualities that drive success and ignite the flames of advocacy.”

President Blanc explained how SGA demands dedication, but rewards its members with an opportunity to forge lifelong connections and challenges from which they will grow.

“This year we aim to revolutionize our campus with a micro reservice, making life more accessible and more exciting for all to follow. I implore you to be the champion of your fellow students, amplifying their voice and dreams. Together we can shape our campus into a haven of inclusiveness, empowerment, and positive change.” Said President Blanc.

Due to it being the first meeting of the semester, it naturally ran short and was adjourned shortly after President Blanc’s report and introduction.

President Blanc closed out the meeting by saying: “SGA is not just an organization, it’s the heartbeat of your aspirations ensuring your concerns are heard and acted upon. I sincerely appreciate each and every one of you for joining us today. Remember, one person’s dedication can spark a revolution; let your voice be that spark.”