FSU Volleyball Breaks Records, but the Job isn’t Finished

Statistics show that we are witnessing the best volleyball team to ever come through Fitchburg State University. The program itself does not have much history but they have already beaten the previous record for wins in a season and they still have 5 games to go.

I spoke to senior Emily Gelinas to see what she believes sets this team apart from the previous rosters. Her biggest point throughout the interview was that the team is “in a winning mindset.” This is allowing them to really lock in as a group and achieve the common goal. When I asked what made this specific group so special a few things stuck out to me, she stated “Obviously we are aiming to win but we are really aiming to out work the other teams” and “Our goal is to go to 5 sets because we know if it goes to 5 we can outwork another team.” This team has a tenacity that their previous 5-15 record did not show, and it is bringing a new life to the volleyball team as a whole.

Most teams who only need to win one out of the next four games would take the foot off the gas but when we spoke about the culture of the team she said “Every spot is open, if you out work a starter in practice there is a chance you’re playing” which creates a “sense of competition within the team.” They are pushing each other every single day and engraving a work ethic the underclassmen can take with them.

Playoffs are rapidly approaching and if the season was a single game, this is the fourth quarter. I asked her about what they do to prepare for a playoff situation and she gave straight forward answers such as “we watch a lot more film” and “practice focusing on the teams weak spots.” These are the physical aspects that can sharpen a team but on the mental side she said “We kinda treat every game like it’s a playoff game.” This mind set allows the team to be prepared for any type of high intensity situation they might face in the upcoming weeks. Is this the year?