WXPL events broadcast awareness of student-run radio

By Jessica Sawyer
WXPL and the English Honors Society are joining forces Friday, February 11, 2011, from 7-10 p.m. The collaboration will feature open-mic-style performances by student musicians and writers. WXPL’s in-house jazz band, The Luscious Fingers, will perform and free refreshments will be provided.
This is one of many events scheduled to build awareness of WXPL, the student-run radio station at Fitchburg State University. They are trying many unique ways to broadcast their existence.
“WXPL is a really cool thing and we all work really hard at it so it would be nice to get more people listening,” says Kenny Caudill, WXPL public relations manager. Caudill has held the public relations position for two semesters now and has been working on new ways to get WXPL heard.
“Coming back [to campus] early from break to broadcast during the freshman move-in was a really good thing for us. We got a lot of listeners and worked with administration to get information out to new students. It also got a lot of new students interested in becoming DJs, which is good,” says Caudill.  Caudill has also been doing things around campus like posting signs directing students to the station.
You can tune into WXPL at 91.3FM up to a ten-mile radius from campus. If you’re interested in becoming a DJ, you can stop by the station in the basement of Thompson Hall Monday thru Friday 9am-5pm or call the office at 978-665-3692. You can also send them an email at [email protected]. Stay up-to-date on their events by joining their Facebook page.