Dance Club steps it up

Fitchburg State Dance Club
Dance Club members showcased a range of styles in their holiday show. (photo by Jamie Breedlove)

By Margaux Fortier

Dance enthusiasts across campus are already looking forward to the week of Jan. 22, when the Dance Club is set to begin a new semester of classes.  The Dance Club has always prided itself on being the largest club on campus, pulling in 300 members last year alone.

Club officers have announced that for the spring semester, each class will be required to have 20 members to run. This means that fewer classes will need auditions for new members.

“I have always liked that [the club] is full of people of all levels,” said Stacy Swartz, a junior. “I had never really danced before, but I was still able to join and have a lot of fun. I got to learn a lot in a non-pressure environment.” Despite not having danced before her sophomore year, she said she found it to be a stress-reliever and an outlet for creativity.

Club members had a chance to show off what they had learned in December, when the Dance Club’s annual holiday dance show drew its usual impressive crowd.

“There was a lot of creativity,” Swartz said of the event. Some of the dance themes included wind-up dolls, zombies, and a battle from the Nutcracker. The dancers achieved new heights, as well, by having the club itself about half the size that it had been last year, but still having about the same amount of dances for the holiday show.

“People put a lot of thought, energy, and hard work into their dances,” said Swartz.  This year, she participated in Lyrical I, Jazz I and Ballet I.

Anyone who is interested in dance classes in a range of skill levels and styles can attend the first meetings of each class to sign up. Also, interested dancers can contact the Dance Club president, Matt Claar, for details.

Classes begin the week of Jan. 22.