Colonial Candies: For a sweet Valentine's Day

The classic assortment is among Colonial Candies' offerings.

By Alishia Martel

In the mood for some chocolate? Colonial Candies has what it takes to cure your craving. At 47 Sugar Road in Bolton, the family-run business is not far from Fitchburg State.  Whether you’re looking for a gift for someone special, or a treat for yourself – they have you covered. From old-school rock candy to chocolate balls, and a delicious assortment of fudge, Colonial Candies’ treats are all made by hand.

They sell boxes of chocolates, which are perfect for gifts; their chocolate-dipped strawberries are a popular Valentine’s Day surprise. And Colonial Candies has seen a lot of Valentine’s Days – the business has been around for 89 years.

My choice? The chocolate fudge with walnuts – deliciously creamy, with the perfect amount of added crunch. It sells for $5.95 for 8 ounces and roughly eight cubes of delicious fudge.  I’ve also had their chocolate cookie-dough balls, and have never regretted my purchase. They also sell ice cream and little things like stuffed animals, bookmarks, and other cute gifts

Around the holidays, visiting the location is a festive experience, complete with inflatable ghosts for Halloween and snowmen for Christmas. On the inside, it’s decorated as well. They take the time to make their appearance appealing to the outside world.

Can’t make it to their location? Colonial Candies also has a website, www.colonialcandies.com, and will send your delicious chocolates right to your doorstep.

Concluding this review, I’d definitely give them 5 out of 5 stars in quality.