WXPL 93.1 FM Kicks Off the Semester With Alternative Music Lineup

By Alexa Nogueira

Fitchburg State Universitys’ student-run radio station, WXPL 91.3 FM, held its first concert of the semester at the Falcon Hub on September 25 from 7 to 10 p.m. The lineup for the night included debt., Peregrine, and Prince Daddy & The Hyena.

debt. kicked things off at 7:48 p.m. for a crowd of roughly 50 people. The duo invited everyone in the room to get up and come close to the stage, saying that the distance between themselves and the audience made them feel awkward. Not needing to be asked twice, most people got up from their seats and got up close and personal with debt., nodding their heads along throughout their performance.

Up next was Peregrine, who performed songs from their latest album, “As One Would Exist Within the Crescendo.” The energy that debt. created remained consistent throughout Peregrine’s set, with people getting up close to the stage.

The final performance of the night came from Prince Daddy & The Hyena, whose presence on stage immediately shifted the energy in the room. People who had previously only nodded along immediately began to mosh as soon as Prince Daddy & The Hyena started their first song. People danced, shouted along, and one person waved a lighter in the air in time with the slower parts of the song.

Some people enjoyed the concert differently, like Buffy Cautela, a Fitchburg State student who was doing her honors seminar homework while a mosh pit consumed the front of the room.

“I love the alternative music scene. I love how it brings everybody together,” Cautela said before she got up to join the crowd for Prince Daddy & The Hyena’s rendition of “Smells Like Teen Spirit” by Nirvana. “Now I’ve got to get back to my homework—I’m a good student!” she said once the song ended.