Athlete Spotlight: Francesco Campione

Athlete Spotlight: Francesco Campione

Born in Monza, Italy, Francesco Campione has been in love with the game of soccer since he was five years old. Since joining the Falcons he has been a consistent starter. This is for good reason, Campione is not only a great leader on the field but off the field as well. When I was talking to him about their practices he told me that he did not participate but was still analyzing the practice and motivating his teammates. This type of leadership is what the program needed, it has created a winning culture. For the first time in four years the door is open for Fitchburg State to make the playoffs.

When I asked what the biggest difference between this year and the previous years is, Campione said that the change is “the team culture, everyone has bought in.” He made it clear that he does not mean that people did not care in previous years but “when [he] first got here, soccer was not a priority.” In their last five games they are 2-2-1, which is the best stretch they have been on this season.

This time of the year is a great time to get hot because if they win their next game, they’re guaranteed to make the playoffs. According to Campione they are treating this like a playoff game and have been playing like they are ready to make an impact in the postseason. He also attributed this season’s success by shouting out the coaching staff for “Leading us throughout every step of the season, without them [the team] wouldn’t be where [they] are.” Only time will tell if this team can accomplish the goal that they have been striving for all season.