A promise could save a life

By Katherine Martinez

The car wreck in which Adam London died was a tragedy that his friends and family hope can be prevented for others. (photo courtesy apromiseforadam.org)

“I promise:

Never to ride in a car without a seatbelt
Never to drive too fast, because where I’m going will be there, whether I’m five minutes early or 50 minutes late
Never to drive after drinking, even the smallest amount, because I cannot understand how impaired I may be.”
If none of this seems familiar to you, then you haven’t made your promise to Adam.
On Aug. 23, 2010 at 9:46 p.m., Adam Michael Spivak London lost his life in a single-car accident. The 17-year old died instantly, only a few blocks away from his home in Newton. Officials determined that Adam, who had received his license just five weeks before, was speeding and not wearing a seatbelt. He, like countless other teens, thought he was invincible.
Who was London, exactly? Well, he was a brother to his twin sister, and to two older siblings. He was an athlete who spent summers teaching kids to play lacrosse. According to his parents, Howard London and Barbara Spivak, he was someone who cared for people and truly loved to laugh. According to his friends, he was just an amazing person. 
Adam London’s family took their grief and created something meaningful from it: A Promise to Adam, a safety campaign born in memory of not only Adam, but the countless souls lost in car accidents. Those who visit www.apromisetoadam.org are invited to sign a pledge form on risky behavior and driving. When a person signs this contract, a copy is sent to Adam’s family and another is returned to the person to remind them of their promise. The purpose of this promise, according to the Web site, is not to scare young adults or guilt them, but to remind them that safety is important and one mishap can affect everyone they know and love.
If you feel you want to make a Promise to Adam, or want to learn more, go to www.apromisetoadam.org.