Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds

By Kristen Levine
The King of Crossovers rides again

Games have become things of in-depth storytelling: riveting, heart-wrenching, powerful. But sometimes you need to step away from the deep side of the gaming world and just get into a really good rough-and- tumble fight. Like any superhero game worth its salt, “Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds” is over the top, vivid, and a mindlessly good time.
The story, insomuch as Marvel vs. Capcom has ever had one, is right to the point. In the Marvel universe, Doctor Doom wants to rule the world. In the Capcom universe, archvillain Albert Wesker from the “Resident Evil” franchise also wants to rule the world. The most logical course of action? Team up across dimensions and bring their universes crashing together.
This team effort for global domination goes awry, however, as Marvel’s giant purple planet eater Galactus gets wind of the cataclysm- and he sees the collided worlds as a great snack.  Logically, the heroes of these worlds must band together…and kick the everliving crap out of one another. Confused? Don’t be. Treat it like any other Marvel story arc and you’ll do just fine.
Capcom’s legendary “Street Fighter” franchise is the reigning ruler of the combo attack, and the other series represented here follow that tradition proudly. Because of the precedent set by “Street Fighter,” players expect intricate controls in “Marvel vs Capcom 3”–but fear not. New players will be deeply relieved and veterans will be surprised to learn that Capcom has done away with complication, adding a ‘simple mode’ to gameplay. This mode allows frantic button-smashing and joystick-tweaking to yield combos and special attacks that vary from the mildly interesting to the “how did I just do that?!”
Keeping up with “Marvel vs. Capcom” tradition, the game is side-scroller – movement is limited to jumping up and down, and moving left and right. The visuals are gorgeously bright, using cel-shading over 3D models to give characters and backgrounds a moving comic book feel, and hearkening back to the era of pixellated 2D graphics. Controls are hair-trigger fine: the softest button pushes result in flashy explosions and crippling physical attacks. Marvel favorites Captain America, Wolverine and Deadpool trade blows with Capcom icons Chun-Li, Dante and Jill Valentine. These icons trade biting taunts and hurl signature moves, delighting even the most casual of fans.
“Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds” is an amazing fighting game.  It doesn’t require the player to think about it, only to enjoy it. It is a masterpiece of the genre, and anyone missing out on it surely will regret it.
“Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds: is rated T for mild language, partial nudity, sexual themes, and violence. It was released February 15th for Playstation 3 and Xbox 360, priced at $59.99.