Here's the trick to Halloween shopping

Halloween masks at the Garment District
Masks are part of the mix at the Garment District. (photo by Casey Hussein Bisson)

By Melissa Mazzone
Halloween is a treat for all ages, but the trick is finding a fun and affordable costume. Luckily, the Garment District is willing to help you out. With three stores in one, this alternative department store in Cambridge is likely to have something that suits your needs.
Many college students would love to have multiple outfits for Halloween, but just don’t have the money to go crazy. “I love dressing up,” said Fitchburg State junior Brittany Campbell. “But it’s difficult to find unique
The Garment District is located in Cambridge. (photo by Melissa Mazzone)

and affordable costumes these days.” That’s where the Garment District comes in. Open since 1986, it’s housed in a building that includes the Garment District, By the Pound and Boston Costume.
The Garment District is the main store and the general name for all three of the departments. It offers used and new clothing and shoes, for men and women, in vintage and contemporary styles.
A walk through The Garment District is literally a walk
By the Pound in Cambridge
By the Pound offers a unique shopping experience. (photo by Casey Hussein Bisson)

through the decades. Offering clothing from modern day
all the way back to the 1920s, the Garment District gives you the opportunity to be creative for Halloween. Here you can find vintage skirts, fur coats, old-school suspenders and a plethora of cowboy boots. There’s plenty of something old that will make your outfit completely new.
The Garment district is also a consignment store that buys clothing from the public and gives cash back right on the spot. According to the store’s website, consignment donors are paid 30 percent of the resale value in cash or 60 percent in store credit.
Other usable clothing that isn’t selected for the store will be sold through By the Pound, which offers a shopping experience much like being thrown into a room with piles of clothes on the ground that you can sift through. Everything is mixed together including men’s, women’s and kid’s clothing. Some days they even set aside paired shoes, purses and accessories. Customers fill up plastic bags provided by the store, have their purchases weighed, and pay $1.50 per pound.
While the Garment District and By the Pound offer opportunities to use your imagination when coming up with a costume idea, Boston Costume offers all the classics: witches, flappers, superheroes and anything in between. At Boston Costume, customers can purchase or rent costumes year round.
The Garment District is located at 200 Broadway St., Cambridge, right off of Kendall Square. More information about the store, including hours, is available at www.garmentdistrict.com.

View Comments (2)