Counseling Services offers a helping hand

By Rebecca Leonard

Counseling Services are located in the Hammond Building on the third floor (Photo by Nicole Rollo)

Walking across campus every student looks, in one way or another, happy. You’d never guess that any of them need someone to talk to. It’s very common that students sometimes need to vent but believe that there is no one there to listen. Fortunately, there is a solution right on campus.

Fitchburg State University has been offering Counseling Services for students for several years. However, a small amount of students are even aware that the counseling office exists never mind the fact that it’s of no cost at all.

In early October the Counseling Services office will be hosting their annual “National Mental Health Screening Day” on campus and is free to everyone. Students will be asked to answer a few questions in an attempt at getting a clearer picture of how they feel emotionally.

“There are a lot of students whose academic progress and well-being would not be as strong without the assistance we provide, “said Robert Hynes, Director of Counseling Services.

Robert Hynes, the director of Fitchburg State’s on-campus counseling services (Photo by Nicole Rollo)

Dr. Hynes has worked for Fitchburg State’s Counseling Services for 11 years and was willing to give some insight into the counseling services and what they are able to do for students.

According to Dr. Hynes, approximately 300 students pass through the counseling office per academic year.

“We do a fair amount of prevention through this office,” Dr. Hynes said.  He then added that the basic role of the counseling office is to help students with any problems they are facing. Any student who is struggling with depression, alcohol and drug abuse, should know that there are people to help just a visit or phone call away.