For spring break, try Coco Key

By Ron Bagnera

Coco Key makes a splash in Fitchburg

How do you have an amazing spring break when you’re a college student on a tight budget? Adventure, fun and excitement are what you desire – but the income issue can often bash the chances of having fun.
This year, though, can be different. Going away and having a fun-filled spring break is possible, even if a Caribbean beach resort is too pricey. 
Coco Key Indoor Water Resort is located right in Fitchburg, and it offers a lot of what college students seek. “Coco Key is a wonderful location to go and spend [time] with friends,” said  former resort employee Laura Suarez. “It is safe, and entertainment never stops.”
Suarez said that attractions include “not only an outdoor/indoor Jacuzzi, but [also] an obstacle course, and an amazing body slide and tube slides.” The 55,000-square-foot resort also offers an arcade, fitness center, pool and eating locations.
Coco Key is located at the Courtyard by Marriott, 150 Royal Plaza Dr. in Fitchburg. Hours of operation are Monday through Thursday 3-9 p.m. , Friday and Saturday 10 a.m. to 9 p.m., and Sunday 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
In addition to focusing on fun, Suarez said, Coco Key keeps and eye on safety. “Coco Key is very good with safety; they personally train their lifeguards, and verify them. They are well staffed and prepared,” she said.
And, since Coco Key is located indoors, there’s no need to apply suncreen.