Ballet up

Photo courtesy of the Deborah Abel Dance Company -- Jaye R. Phillips

By Robert D. Gosselin

Not long ago one of the greatest young athletes I ever met gave up his baseball glove for ballet tights, and in a culture that practically treats sports as religion I was compelled to wonder why. With his abilities he could have attended any university he wanted. I had a chance to meet with him last weekend and during our visit I asked him what compelled his decision to swap a lucrative future in sports, for one in the arts.

“Well, I’ve been dancing almost as long as I’ve been playing sports, so it’s always been a part of my life. Dance just feels more personal, but at the same time it’s more social.”

Hollywood loves a good drama, and his subtle answer was quite surprising. Perhaps his personal experience was the only thing strong enough to overcome generations of stereotypes and expectations.

Now, when not dancing, he drives a fifteen year old battered car, works as a waiter on weekends and attends community college in Boston.  Truly a sharp contrast to the university life that awaited him as a ball player.

He has been fortunate to dance with some nationally recognized groups, but this story is not about what he does, but what he gave up and why.

You often hear art is about sacrifice. Watching him dance you realize it is more of a self completion from a point of confidence, and for me that defines the arts. And so does this young dancer,  Camden Ierardi. If you follow dance remember that name.

This is my first feature in what is typically called arts and culture. I will try and use it to move the conversation to the other side of the canvas, behind the photographers lens or backstage with the performers.

As the school year really gets rolling this feature will be covering as many cultural events at Fitchburg State University as possible, but not exclusively. We are lucky to live in an area where the arts are celebrated in so many places. Of course there is a strong ulterior motive. I also hope to entice you to start attending these events.

Feel free to contact me at The Point with any information about cultural or artistic events you are involved with. You can also send me an email at [email protected] and let me know what you are doing. I would love to write about it. And that young dancer? He still plays baseball. That is when he’s not dancing.

View Comments (2)