Pink On The Rink and an Epic Comeback

By: Kyle Swirbliss

pink2
Photo Courtesy of: BN Photography 

This past Saturday evening, the Wallace Civic Center welcomed students, alumni, and area locals for a special evening of hockey. This event was set up with help from The Cup Crusaders in an effort to help Susan G. Komen For The Cure raise money to help fund breast cancer research.
In addition to dyeing the Falcons’ home ice pink, the Fitchburg Falcons donned very special pink jerseys to help show their support. Funds were raised from the game from ticket sales and tee shirts, to “Chuck a Puck” and a 50/50 raffle, even the jerseys worn during the game were auctioned off by the end of the night.
No matter how the game would end it wouldn’t compare to the fundraising and attention it had brought for a worthy cause.
After the first puck drop it was a mad scramble for the first goal of the game, and after nearly two and half periods of a scoreless game, the freshman forward from Westfield, Joseph Napoli sent a shot down low for a Westfield goal, 8:46 minutes into the second period putting them up on the board 1-0.
It would be only shortly after the start of the third period the Fitchburg offense began to find a strong rhythm. Forward #9 Nat Rojas was the first to put the Falcons on the scoreboard after just over five and a half minutes into the third.
pink
Photo Courtesy of: BN Photography

Keeping the momentum going; Ryan Connolly was able to find the back of the net with an assist from John Celli, finally breaking the tie to take the lead.
Fitchburg goalie Charles Jakobsson held strong, blocking shots and doing his part to maintain the team’s narrow lead ahead of Westfield.
With the play clock winding down, the Owls decided to pull their goaltender for an extra attacker. With 16 seconds left Ricky Kramer and Mike Morrison set up Jon Johannesson for the empty net goal to secure the win for the Falcons 3-1 over the Owls.
For more information on the Susan G. Komen Foundation, visit Komen.org